Thursday, November 24, 2011

Soul | Why are we thankful?

found via pinterest. courtesy of tumblr.
Today, my family gathered together to enjoy the bountiful meal my mother had prepared for us. It’s Thanksgiving, and there’s no better time to be with the ones you love, eating lots of really good food. But, sometimes in the midst of all the cooking and activity of preparing for this holiday, I find myself forgetting what exactly we are celebrating. Oh, of course I know it’s a reminder to be thankful for the good things in our life, but what’s the deeper reason behind our thankfulness?

Looking back, the first Thanksgiving was held by the Pilgrims as an expression of gratitude for God’s faithful provision of food and shelter. They had endured a harsh struggle, and were now blessed with a plentiful harvest. President Lincoln would ensure that we kept this tradition by proclaiming a yearly observance which forever marked it on our calendars. When you think about it, the year 1863 – in the middle of the Civil War – seems like a surprising time for our nation to pause and give thanks. The cruel presence of war had touched every household…but the hope of our nation was to restore unity. By offering thanks for what we’d been given, our nation was reminded of how truly blessed it was.

So this is the conclusion I’ve come to. It’s pretty incredible to consider being grateful when you’re in the middle of hardship. But, that is exactly how this holiday started. More than just turkey and stuffing, or small blessings we’ve been counting, it’s a profound reminder of how the Lord has provided a means to sustain us in the midst of our need. No matter how life looks at the moment, on this day we can pause and give thanks, knowing that God in His goodness is caring for us. That is why we can give thanks at all times, in every circumstance we find ourselves facing.

As I gather around the table with the four people I love most in this world, I want to be reminded of the Lord’s provision in my life. When I need Him most, He is always faithful to sustain me. And for this, I am truly thankful.

. . . . . . . .

I hope you all enjoyed a very blessed Thanksgiving!

“Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise!
Give thanks to Him; bless His name! For the Lord is good;
His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.”
(Psalm 100:4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment