Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ringing in the New Year

found via pinterest.
Exactly one week ago today, January 1st marked the beginning of a new year. 2012 has arrived with all the promises of hope and uncertainty.

During those few precious hours before midnight, we had the chance to relive memories of days that have past, and then watch with eager anticipation as the future appeared before us. Unsure of what lies up ahead, New Year’s has always been a little bittersweet for me, because inside I know there’s no going back. But the coming tomorrow filled with joy and possibility, helps to reassure me of good things in store.

It’s been a tradition for some time now to make a list of New Year’s resolutions. Up until about 3 years ago, I used to laugh at the idea of starting the year out with a list of “empty promises.” But then I came to realize that resolutions are more than just a half-hearted pledge. To be resolute is to be marked by a firm determination, to be bold, and steady.1 It’s our way of beginning again with a clean slate; a chance to look uncertainty in the face and set out to put our plans, goals, and dreams into motion.

What are some of your resolutions? Do you make resolutions, or do you have some other way you like to start off the year? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

In this year, it is my hope to spend more time doing some of the things I love. As time marches on, I’m beginning to understand more of the saying that, “Life is short.” And with this knowledge, I want to spend less time filling my mind with doubt, worry, and wondering what might have been. Because, I believe we’re meant to embrace the time we’ve been given. After all, who can add a day to their life? 2

Here’s my list of resolutions for 2012:

MIND |                                     SOUL |
          Read more great literature                          Read through the Bible in one year
          Spend more time on my writing                    Faithfully record in my journal
                                                                       Learn to play the piano

BODY |                                     SPIRIT |
          Exercise to increase my strength                 Write letters
          Eat healthier, well balanced meals                Re-explore my artistic side

.   .   .  .  .

The future may appear to be uncertain, but I serve a God who holds time in His hands.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment